Dr Fiona Herron is back, this time with a nutritious and delicious salmon burrito bowl.
Words: Fiona Herron
Photo: Chris Herron
I'm all about quick, yet nutritious meals. This recipe is a favourite that can be pre-prepped quickly and easily. The beauty of build-your-own-bowls is you can easily cater to the preferences of your household – the bowl on the right is lined with a mini flat bread while the bowl on the left isn’t and is mostly filled with baby spinach.
The protein source is hot smoked salmon – mostly because of the flavour match, however, salmon has some strong health benefits. High in protein (approximated 25g per 100g serve) it is quite oily so you don’t need very much. Probably best known for containing good quantities of Omega 3 fatty acids, salmon is also a good source of B Vitamins, Selenium and Vitamin D. The main caution is that it is high in sodium (so limit if you are sensitive) and check ingredient lists - avoid if additional salt has been added.
The other star flavour is Kimchi – a spicy sauerkraut normally hiding in the cold section of the supermarket. A little bit smelly, but the health benefits of this probiotic for gut health and overall immunity has long been known so add a little to your meals whenever you think of it.
Use organic where possible and always read ingredient labels.
Rice with Black Beans (adapted from Café Delites Original Recipe or use your own favourite version):
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic (fresh if possible)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 x 420g tin of rinsed black beans (or approx 3/4 cup of dry black beans rinsed and soaked for at least 6hrs)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
To build your bowl:
- flat bread
- baby spinach
- fresh salad ingredients (I’ve used a baby capsicum, cucumber, tomato and avocado)
- Rice with black beans
- Kimchi (spicy Sauerkraut)
- whole piece of smoked salmon (no more than 100g per serve)
- fresh coriander, sesame seeds and fried shallots (check the ingredient label though!)
Rice with Black Beans:
- Heat oil and cook onion until just tender
- Add garlic and cook for another minute
- Add rice and sprinkle cumin on top, stir and cook for another minute
- Add beans and broth, bring to boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer for approx 10 mins – keep stirring every now and then
- Take off the heat once rice is tender
- If pre-preparing, allow to cool, divide into single serve containers and freeze ready for use with your burrito bowls.
To build your bowl:
- Line your bowl with flat bread (if including)
- Fill bowl with baby spinach leaves and prepped salad
- Break up the salmon and add to bowl
- Top with crunchy fried shallots, sesame seeds and fresh coriander
Nutrition per serve (348g):
Energy – 1.550 kJ
Protein – 30.4g
Fat – 10.6g
After more recipes and nutrition articles? Click here.