Satisfy your craving for a childhood favourite with no regrets
Words: Dr Fiona Herron
Photo: Chris Herron
Recently for some reason I really wanted a piece of passionfruit slice… remember the one when you were a kid … made with a tin or two of condensed milk? I bought a slice from a nearby cafe and, of course, almost instantly regretted it. Not only was the flavour lacking but I was also eating ingredients that I don’t normally consume and I didn’t feel great for the rest of the day.
The result - this edition’s recipe is my ‘pretend’ passionfruit slice that provides the pleasure of the amazing passionfruit flavour without the hours feeling unwell. It is super quick, moist and a little messy. It can be made with or without the passionfruit curd on top (which I cheated and bought).
The base of this slice is a mix of sunflower seeds, brazil, pecan and cashew nuts – all are jam-packed with anti-oxidants (especially Vitamin E), monosaturated fatty acids and a good dose of the mineral Selenium. Passionfruit is actually a berry and originates from Brazil and is known by some for its calming properties. It is definitely underrated – the passionfruit also has high antioxidant properties, and is rich in potassium, Vitamin A and fibre. Combined with the nut/seed base – this slice is a great immune boost.
- 100g (2/3 cup) sunflower seeds
- 80g (2/3 cup) brazil nuts
- 60g (2/3 cup) pecan pieces
- 200g (2 cups) cashew pieces
- 80g (approx. 6) quartered Medjool dates
- 60g (1/3 cup) passionfruit pulp
- dollop of passionfruit curd to top
- In your food processor, blitz sunflower seeds, brazil nuts and pecan pieces until just crumbly
- Add cashew pieces and chopped dates and blitz again – don’t over blitz this – cashews are soft and can quickly become cream
- Move mix to another bowl and slowly add in the passionfruit pulp – tasting as you go. Only add enough pulp so that when you press the mix it presses and stays together – you may not need the full 60g or you may want more
- Press mix into a shallow dish and chill in the fridge for an hour or so (as long as you can wait basically)
- Top with passionfruit curd (if desired, but still delicious without)
- Cut into bite sized portions – this one is moist and messy but so yummy
Nutrition per serve (20g):
Energy – 373kJ
Protein – 2.1
Fat – 6.8g
Carbohydrate – 4.2g