These super easy-to-make raw mini muffins (or whatever shape you choose) offer a sophisticated flavour and provide a delicious and nutritious snack whether you are looking for a snack, or wanting to supplement your nutrition on the bike.
Words: Fiona Herron
Photos: Chris Herron
Related to the mulberry, figs are high in natural sugars and soluble fibre. They are also known to contain prebiotics and help promote good digestion and gut health. If you don’t love the flavour of figs on their own, don’t be put off by this recipe – the combination of figs, hemp and walnuts is next level.
Hemp seeds (technically classified as a nut) are now “old news” and they can be easily found in your local grocery store. Like all seeds, they pack a punch – rich in healthy fats, especially omega 6 and omega 3 – and perfectly balanced to promote a healthy immune system.
And finally, the walnut which has so many proven health benefits, but probably best known for its’ antioxidant properties – essential for combating oxidative effects in the body. The walnut is also high in omega 3 fatty acids and combines forces with the omegas from the hemp seeds to really boost the benefits of this functional snack.
Use organic where possible and always read ingredient labels – I’ve kept measurements in grams as it is difficult to accurately measure a cup of walnuts etc because of their odd shapes.
- 94g raw walnuts
- 90g dried Figs (roughly chopped)
- 30g dates (roughly chopped)
- 100g hulled hemp seeds
- 10g coconut oil (approx. 2 tbs at room temp.)
- 36g raw cashew nuts
- 30g pure protein powder (if desired)
- Using your food processor, blitz walnuts, figs and dates until they just start to become crumbly.
- Add hemp seeds, coconut oil, cashew nuts and protein powder and blitz again until all ingredients are combined – the mix should press and hold together.
*note: if you are not including the protein powder, then add less (approx. half) the coconut oil.
- Measure out a tablespoon of the mix and form into ball, bar or muffins.
- Top with hemp seeds.
- Place (and store) in the fridge to firm up.
- Makes approx. 10 tablespoon sized (39g) muffins/bars/balls
Nutrition per serve (39g):
Energy – 782 kJ
Protein – 7.4g
Fat – 13.8g
Looking for more recipes to keep you fuelled on and off the bike? Click here.